Thursday, June 21, 2012

As Promised...


In case you missed yesterday's post, I am completely and utterly obsessed with Rend Collective Experiment's second album, Homemade Worship by Handmade People. I posted a video of their song Second Chance, which is my favorite, and promised to discuss my thoughts on the lyrics that have touched me so profoundly. So, here you go! Lyrics to Second Chance:

My future hangs on this
You make preciousness from dust
Please don't stop creating me
Your blood offers the chance
To rewind to innocence
Reborn perfect as a child

Oh Your cross, it changes everything
There my world begins again with You
Oh Your cross, it's where my hope restarts
A second chance is Heaven's heart

When sin and ugliness
Collide with redemption's kiss
Beauty awakens by romance
Always inside this mess
I have found forgiveness
Mercy as infinite as You

Oh Your cross, it changes everything
There my world begins again with You
Oh Your cross, it's where my hope restarts
A second chance is Heaven's heart 

Countless second chances
We've been given at the cross
Countless second chances
We've been given at the cross

Fragments of brokenness
Salvaged by the art of grace
You craft life from our mistakes
Black skies of my regrets
Outshone by this kindness
New life dawns over my soul

Oh Your cross, it changes everything
There my world begins again with You
Oh Your cross, it's where my hope restarts
A second chance is Heaven's heart

Oh Your cross, it changes everything
There my world begins again with You
Oh Your cross, it's where my hope restarts
A second chance is Heaven's heart

Countless second chances
We've been given at the cross
Countless second chances
We've been given at the cross

"You make preciousness from dust..."

Doesn't that just make you smile? Did you know you are precious to God? It says so in Isaiah 43:4 - "...you are precious and honored in my sight, and...I love you."

"When sin and ugliness / Collide with redemption's kiss / Beauty awakens by romance"

This makes me think of one of my favorite passages from Ephesians: "As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved." That's from Ephesians 2:1-5, in case you are wondering. Awesome, right? That God would take a broken, sinful person and make her into his beloved daughter...*happy sigh.*

"Fragments of brokenness / Salvaged by the art of grace / You craft life from our mistakes / Black skies of my regrets / Outshone by this kindness / New life dawns over my soul"

This part also makes me think of Ephesians 2:1-5, and also John 10:10, which says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." Jesus came to give us LIFE! We're not stuck in lives of religiously adhering to a set of rules to try to make God happy with us. Because we KNOW God loves us, we can be free to love Him and love others fully and completely, and enjoy a beautiful relationship with him. Yay life!!

So there you go: my thoughts on Second Chance by Rend Collective Experiment, as promised. I hope you enjoyed the song as much as I did. If it touched something in your soul too, put up a comment! I love hearing your stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment